Top Apple competitors in 2019
Apple is one of the most popular brands in the world. Many people – mainly teenagers – want to have products from this company. iPhones, iPads, MacBooks – everyone knows these products, but everyone knows too that the company is very expensive. How did it happen that despite such high prices everyone wants these devices? Surely there are many reasons, but let’s first discuss how this company was born.
1. Apple History
Apple begins for sure, connected with two characters – Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. In 1976 they put their ideas into practice and founded the company, together with Ronald Wayne. Apple Computer Inc. initially operated in Steve Jobs garage. It was there that their first product was created – the Apple I personal computer.
Over the years, the company has been growing. On January 9, 2007, Steve Jobs announced that Apple intended to focus on manufacturing a new type of device – smartphones – to introduce the first iPhone.
1.1 Apple Succes
Fashion for Apple is largely the result of ubiquitous product placement. Characteristic iPads, iPhones and MacBooks appeared in hundreds of films and TV series – probably the most memorable scene from the “Legally Blonde”, when the main character, sitting in the lecture hall, was strongly conspicuous thanks to her colorful iBook. The saturation of the media with Apple hardware made it almost synonymous with a computer in the eyes of many of the brand’s PCs – the same thing happened to iPhones and iPads later on.
1.2 Apple Sales
In the first quarter of 2018, the company generated revenue of $20.1 billion. However, sales of the second quarter of 2019 amounted to only $11. 6 billion, which is half as much as a year ago. Fall in sales was certainly due to a competition that is also fighting very hard in the market and is growing. But who are Apple competitors? Today I will show You Apple competitors list.
2. Top Apple competitors
logo owner: Samsung
Samsung is for sure one of Apple’s biggest competitor. Samsung was founded on 1 March 1938 by Lee Byung-Chul in Daegu, Japanese Korea. At the very beginning, the company dealt with a completely different industry – the company produced and sold sugar. A few years later, they were selling insurance policies and exporting fishes, alcohol, vegetables an fruits. In 1969 the company changed its name to Samsung Electronic. During the next years, Samsung was thriving very well. The company started to introduce refrigerators, washing machines, dishwashers, refrigerators, laptops and telephones to its offer.
In 2010 was created the first phone from the Galaxy s series – Samsung Galaxy S – which was initiated to be the top series of phones, which were the main rivals of the iPhones. Now, the top 2019 mobile phone market is occupied by these two brands (iPhone Xs Max, Samsung Galaxy s10+)
Another competing Samsung products with Apple
- Smartwatch – Samsung Galaxy Watch, which is the equivalent of the Apple Watch
- Tablet – Samsung Galaxy Tab, which is the equivalent of an iPad
- Laptop – Samsung Notebook, which is the equivalent of a MacBook
The companies have been competing with each other for years. Samsung has once recorded an advertising film humiliating Apple and praising Samsung’s products, which has been received by media very negative.
- Country of origin: Daegu, Japanese Korea
- Founder: Lee Byung-Chul
- Founded: 1 March 1938
- CEO: Ki Nam, Hyun Suk, Dong-Jin
- Revenue: $ 210,900,000,000 (2017)
- Industry: electronic devices: televisions, refrigerators, smartphones, laptops
- Example of products: Samsung QLED TV, Samsung Notebook 9 Pro, Samsung Galaxy Fold
logo owner: Google
From Apple competitors analysis, the second big competitor is Google.
The company was founded on September 1, 1998, by Larry Page and Sergey Brin in California. Company’s flagship product is Google’s search engine, which is used all over the world.
The company, in its offer, has a lot of services that compete with Apple. Starting from Android OS, which is IOS main competitor. Currently, on the market available is only two smartphone systems:
- IOS (only iPhones, iPads, iPods)
- Android OS, which has virtually every smartphone available on the market
Other Google services that are Apple competition:
- Google Maps – Navigation App (Apple equivalent: Apple Maps)
- YouTube Music – Streaming Music App (Apple equivalent: Apple Music)
- Google Play Movies – Streaming Movies App (Apple equivalent: Apple TV)
- Google Home – Virtual assistant (Apple equivalent: Siri)
- Google Pay – Payment app (Apple equivalent: Apple Pay)
Google also has its own series of Google Pixel phones, which are also characterized by high performance and interesting design.
- Country of origin: Menlo Park, California, USA
- Founded: September 4, 1998
- Founder: Larry Page, Sergey Brin
- CEO: Sundar Pichai
- Revenue: $ 136,800,000,000 (2018)
- Industry: Internet, Computer software, Electronic devices
- Example of products: Google Pixel 3, Google Chromecast
logo owner: Sony
Sony is a Chinese company which was founded by Masaru Ibuka and Akio Morita on 7 May 1946. First, the most recognizable product of this company was Walkman. It was the bestseller of the 1980s. Later, the company has designed Discman, which was also a big success.
During the years, the company was offering more products like headphones, speakers, cameras, PlayStation, and phones. The products of this company were appreciated by the world’s photographers, musicians and more.
For sure, one of the biggest competitors for Walkman was Apple iPods. Sony, in its offer, also has very good and performant smartphones, which can average with Apple devices.
- Country of origin: Nihonbashi, Chūō, Tokyo,
- Founded: 7 May 1946
- Founder: Masaru Ibuka, Akio Morita
- CEO: Kenichiro Yoshida
- Revenue: $ 78,140,000,000 (2019)
- Industry: Video games, Films, Music, Electronic devices
- Example of products: Playstation 4, Sony Bravia TV, Sony Xperia XZ3
logo owner: Dell
Dell is an American company that manufactures and services computers and peripherals. It was founded on February 1, 1984, by Michael Dell. The company’s head office is located in Texas.
Dell offers mainly laptops, printers, PC’s, which feature high quality and robust. These products are dedicated for business, home use but also for gaming – Dell has a special offer with dedicated gaming gear named Dell Alienware.
In the past, it offers smartphones too, but the quality could not match the high performance of other top models, and the design of the products was template whereby the phones quickly disappeared from the market. Also up to now, Dell can contend with Apple only with PC products like iMac or MacBooks.
- Country of origin: Texas, USA
- Founded: February 1, 1984
- Founder: Michael Dell
- CEO: Michael Dell
- Revenue: $ 78,000,000,000 (2018)
- Industry: Electronic devices: computers, servers, smartphones, televisions
- Example of products: Monitor Alienware AW2518HF, Dell Inspiron 15, Dell Latitude
logo owner: ASUS
Asus is the next company on our list of apple competitors. It’s a Chinese company which was founded on 2 April 1989 by three IT specialists: Ted Hsu, M.T. Liao, Wayne Tsiah and T.H. Tung. From the beginning, the company has been designing and selling motherboards and graphics cards. In 2004, ASUS sold more motherboards than three other rivals together, reaching 30 million units. The results look very satisfactory and that’s why the company has started to introduce more and more of its products.
Now, Asus offers laptops, monitors, smartphones, tablets, smartwatches, projectors, and much much more. All these products are a very good performance, reliability, and quality.
Despite the fact that Asus is one of the suppliers of computer components for MacBooks, it can certainly be called one of Apple’s competitors.
- Country of origin: Taipei, Taiwan
- Founded: 2 April 1989
- Founder: Ted Hsu, M.T. Liao, Wayne Tsiah, T.H. Tung
- CEO: Samson Hu, S.Y. Hsu
- Revenue: $ 13,800,000,000
- Industry: Computer hardware, Electronic devices: Smartphones, Laptops;
- Example of products: ASUS Strix RTX 2080 ti, ASUS ROG G703GX, ASUS ROG Phone
logo owner: Microsoft
Microsoft is the work of Bill Gates and Paul Allen, which has become one of the largest IT companies in the world. The most recognizable products of this company were MS-DOS, Microsoft Windows, and Microsoft Office.
One of the biggest Microsoft competitors 2017 was Apple. Why?
Microsoft offers many software services that are competitive for Apple:
- Bing Maps – Apple equivalent: Apple Maps
- Microsoft Internet Explorer – Apple equivalent: Safari
- One Drive – Apple equivalent: iCloud
- Cortana – Apple equivalent: Siri
- Skype – Apple equivalent: FaceTime
The company also produce electronic devices like:
- Xbox One
- Microsoft Surface
- Microsoft HoloLens
One of the best Microsoft products is Microsoft Surface. These small laptops are very convenient and high-performance. An additional advantage of many models is the touchscreen display, which is missing from MacBooks.
- Country of origin: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
- Founded: April 4, 1975
- Founder: Bill Gates, Paul Allen
- CEO: John W. Thompson, Satya Nadella, Brad Smith, Bill Gates
- Revenue: $ 125,800,000,000
- Industry: Computer software, Computer hardware, Electronic devices
- Example of products: Windows 10, Microsoft Surface Go, Internet Explorer
logo owner: Xiaomi
Who is apple’s biggest competitor? Hard to say but Chinese company – Xiaomi is for sure one of them. It is a very young company – it was launched 9 years ago (6 April 2010) by Lei Jun
Xiaomi was equated with Apple almost since its inception. Not without reason. From the first model of Mi 1, many people noticed the similarity to iPhones.
The companies have one big difference – the Xiaomi products are much cheaper – the company saves money on materials and don’t invest money in marketing like Apple. Due to the given variables, products with similar parameters of the company apple and Xiaomi can be even 3 times cheaper.
- Country of origin: Beijing, China
- Founded: 6 April 2010
- Founder: Lei Jun
- CEO: Lei Jun
- Revenue: $ 25,400,000,000 (2018)
- Industry: Electronic devices: Smartphones, Smartwatches, Laptops, Electric scooter
- Example of products: Laptop Xiaomi Mi Air 13.3, Xiaomi Black Shark 2, Xiaomi Mi 9T
logo owner: Adobe
Adobe maybe is not one of the biggest competitors of apple but for sure compete with their desktop apps. Adobe was founded in December 1982 by John Warnock and Charles Geschke in California. The company offers dedicated programs to processing graphics, movies, music and more.
The interest in this company’s products is so great that the 2018 revenue results show that the company has earned $ 9,030,000,000.
Adobe apps similar and competitive to Apple apps:
- Adobe Premiere Pro – Apple equivalent: iMovie
- Adobe Audition – Apple equivalent: Garage Band
- Adobe Illustrator Draw – Apple equivalent: Apple Notes
Apple apps have two differences: Apple apps are free and used for basic processing – adobe programs have more advanced options.
- Country of origin: Mountain View, California, USA
- Founded: December 1982
- Founder: John Warnock, Charles Geschke
- CEO: Shantanu Narayen
- Revenue: $ 9,030,000,000 (2018)
- Industry: Computer software
- Example of products: Photoshop, Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Premiere Pro
logo owner: Huawei
Huawei is a Chinese company which is one of the world’s leading smartphone manufacturers. The company was founded in 1982 by Ren Zhengfei and has gradually conquered foreign markets. In 2005, the company’s turnover abroad officially exceeded that of domestic activities. The key to success turned out to be perseverance, innovation, and also favorable economic conditions that existed in China at that time.
Due to its quality products, good marketing and prices, the company earned 104,6 billion dollars in 2018. Huawei in its offer has competing products with Apple
- Smartphones – Huawei P30 Pro
- Laptops – Huawei MateBook D 15
- Tablets – Huawei MediaPad M5 Pro
- Smartwatches – Huawei GT
- Smartbands – Huawei Band A2
- Headphones – Huawei Freebuds
Unfortunately, many of these products are very similar to Apple design (for example Huawei phones have a very similar notch and camera system to iPhone X, another example is the design of Huawei MateBook which is very similar to MacBooks Pro. That’s why Huawei is called one of the top apple major competitors.
Currently, the company is fighting a battle between American Apple, which most likely will not end too soon…
- Country of origin: Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
- Founded: 1987
- Founder: Ren Zhengfei
- CEO: Ren Zhengfei
- Revenue: $ 104,600,000,000 (2018)
- Industry: Electronic devices, Computer hardware
- Example of products: Huawei P Smart, Huawei P30, Huawei MateBook X PRO
As we can see Apple has very strong competitors who also have very good product range. Companies have very similar products whereby consumers have more choice. Apple offers high-quality products at a high price which makes people often to choose cheaper alternatives like Huawei or Xiaomi.
Can Apple be afraid of its competitors? Certainly, yes.
with active e-mails, phone numbers